XOLOITZCUINTLI CLUB OF AMERICA
CODE OF ETHICS
1. I pledge to help educate the public on the standard and care of my breed and in all other areas where I am qualified.
2. I will make every attempt to protect and preserve my breed, to act responsibly in all facets of breeding and ownership and to encourage all buyers to do the same and encourage them to join the XCA club.
3. I will not attempt to maintain more animals than I have adequate facilities for.
4. The best possible standards of health and care shall be maintained. This includes adequate food, water, exercise, protection from weather extremes, frequent grooming, mental health and the use of preventative medicine.
5. All litters produced are to be done with the intention of improving the breed and to this end I accept my breed's official American Standard as the means to evaluate my animals and for proposed breedings.
6. I will be alert for and work to control and/or eradicate inherited problems. I will not deliberately breed any dog with known problems. If I should breed from lines and become aware that problems are occurring, I will disclose this to my buyers. I also agree to humanely euthanize and/or spay/neuter deformed/sick puppies.
7. I will use for breeding only animals eligible for registration with the American Kennel Club.
8. Bitches shall be allowed to rest and not be bred consecutive heats if their seasons come at intervals of less than eight (8) months. Bitches under one year of age shall not be used for breeding. Bitches should be examined by a qualified veterinarian and judged to be in good health before being bred. A bitch may be bred to only one stud dog during any one estrous, and not bred after 7 years of age.
9. Owners of stud dogs shall provide adequate facilities for visiting bitches. Stud owners shall make every reasonable attempt to get a bitch bred. No male under ten (10) months of age shall be used for stud. Studs should be examined by a qualified veterinarian and judged to be in good health before being bred. I will refuse stud service to any bitch under one year of age and over 7 years of age or which I consider in poor health, or which has serious faults. I will encourage bitch owners to breed only if they have the facilities, time, and resources to adequately care for and place a litter in loving, safe homes.
10. I will register each litter with the AKC. I will also keep accurate records of my dogs, breedings, and pedigrees.
11. I will not allow any puppy to leave its dam and littermates before the age of eight (8) weeks and preferably older. Before departure to its new home, I will have each puppy checked by a veterinarian for parasites and general health.
12. Any dog I sell will have a forty-eight (48) hour health guarantee, whereby the buyer is to take the dog to a qualified veterinarian and if the dog proves to be unhealthy, the buyer may return the dog.
13. No dogs shall be sold for purposes of dog fighting or crossbreeding. I will not provide any animal to pet shops or other commercial establishments; nor will I sell or provide puppies for resale, or sell or donate any animal to be raffled or auctioned.
14. I will recognize the right of the buyer to assume that his expectations should be fulfilled and to this end shall represent my dogs fairly and honestly, and will be a mentor to the buyer for the dog’s life and take the dog back at anytime during its lifetime or help to re-home if it becomes necessary.
15. Contracts or written agreements will be used to cover any purchases, sales, or breeding arrangements.
16. I will inform myself and abide by any rules and regulations in my state and county
17. I will refuse to recommend breeders who do not conform to the obligations expressed in this Code.
18. Any member who is suspended from the AKC for any reason will be suspended from the XCA and will be reinstated to the club when the AKC reinstates.
I have read and agree to abide by the foregoing Code of Ethics: